Traveling to Disney during the time of COVID has some new challenges and restrictions we’ve never seen before. One of these is the mandatory testing guidelines set forth by certain states. In New York, for example, the current mandate requires that all travelers must have proof of a negative COVID test within three days before entering the state. Is it possible to get COVID testing near Disney World?
Things to Consider BEFORE Travel
There are many factors to consider when planning to travel and adhere to guidelines and restrictions during this time. This is a new level of vacation planning that we now must add to the usual to-do lists pre-COVID. Here are some important questions to answer BEFORE you travel:
- Does your state require testing before your return home?
- Will they accept the rapid test?
- How soon before entering the state must you administer the test?
- Are there quarantine requirements once I return home?
- Where can I get the test?
- How quickly can I get the results?
- How much time do I need to block out during my vacation for this process?
- Will my insurance cover the cost of testing out of state?
DIY Testing Option
Depending on your testing requirements, your insurance, your budget and your time constraints, there are several options available to you for COVID testing near the Walt Disney World area.
Probably the easiest option is the At-Home Collection Kit by LabCorp. This test is exactly how it sounds. You can have the kit mailed to your home prior to leaving on vacation.
They’ll send you an at-home collection kit to collect your nasal swab sample and then you must ship it to their lab. The kit comes with everything you need to administer ONE test, plus the box and shipping labels required for FedEx. The lab will test your sample for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes coronavirus disease .
You must be 18 or older to take this test. The average time to deliver results is currently 1-2 days from when your sample is received at the lab. The labs process samples seven days a week. After taking the test, you must deliver the kit to FedEx. The on-site FedEx drop-off locations are not operational at this time. The closest FedEx we found to the Disney Resort area was located here. You will receive an email with your results within 1-2 days. Note: as of publication, and due to the surge in COVID-19 cases, kits are currently reserved for individuals experiencing symptoms or those who have been recommended for testing by a healthcare provider, public health department, or contact investigator.
In-Person COVID Testing Options
There are many options for testing sites near Walt Disney World property. Some accept walk-ins, but if you’re more comfortable scheduling an appointment, some of the sites accept those as well. In all cases, as you’re planning ahead, you’ll want to be sure to call your insurance provider so you know what to expect regarding coverage.
- Osceola County Health Department, 1875 Fortune Road, Kissimmee: Testing available Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Appointments are not required for this drive thru event.Those seeking testing are asked to wear a mask and bring a pen to complete paperwork.
- Prescriptions Unlimited, 2521 13th St., Suite A, St Cloud: Testing available Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Appointments are required. To schedule appointment, please call 1-800-451-7449 or visit http://prescriptions-unlimited.com/
- Effective November 30, testing available Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Osceola Community Health Services, 1501 Bill Beck Blvd., Kissimmee. Appointments required, limited availability and some restrictions apply. Optional free antibody testing also available. Call 407-943-8600 to schedule an appointment.
- Effective November 30, testing available Wednesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Osceola Community Health Services, 109 Doverplum Avenue, Poinciana. Appointments required, limited availability and some restrictions apply. Optional free antibody testing also available. Call 407-943-8600 to schedule an appointment.
Finally, probably the most convenient testing option is right on Disney property itself.
The Florida Division of Emergency Management operates a walk-up COVID-19 testing site daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Disney Maingate Complex, 3010 Maingate Lane, Kissimmee. Appointments are NOT required at this location. Testing is free and available for all residents ages 2 and up. No insurance is required. No symptoms are required to be tested. Rapid test is available at this location, with results available in about 15 minutes. You’ll want to verify that the rapid test is an acceptable test in your state. Please note that wait times for this location have reportedly been up to an hour and a half, the longest waits being first thing in the morning. Try to go midday if you can to avoid these excessive lines.
The MousekeMoms, Lori, Jennifer and Juliana, are experienced Disney moms who dole out valuable, honest, no holds barred information on their weekly podcast to help you plan your Disneyland, Walt Disney World or Disney Cruise Line vacation.
After all, Disney moms know best! And they are the best at planning your Disney vacations as the proud agents and owners of Kingdom and Cruise Travel- where vacation wishes come true.
Email us for a free, no obligation vacation quote. Our vacation planning services are always 100% FREE!