Star wars and Disney… a perfect combination. We cannot let this May the Fourth/Revenge of the Sith week pass us by without paying homage to all the ways we can fangirl about Star Wars with Disney’s help. Let’s get started!
Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
We cannot talk about Star Wars and Disney without talking about Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Located in Disney’s Hollywood Studios, this “new” land is the ultimate destination for any Star Wars fan. The land is anchored by its’ two attractions: Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run and Rise of the Resistance.
- Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run- pilot the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy on your mission to “make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs”. This ride has a minimum height requirement of 38”. Guests will enter the cockpit of the Millenium Falcon as a pilot, gunner or engineer on a daring, interactive smuggling mission. This is a 6 passenger simulator ride- if you are motion sickness prone, skip it. Back when FastPasses were a thing, this attraction was on Tier 1 in the FastPass system and had a single rider line. Hopefully both will return.
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is the clear favorite attraction in this area. It has a 40” minimum height requirement. This ride is a massive attraction with multiple ride systems that is unlike anything you’ve ever experienced at Walt Disney World Resort… or anywhere else in the galaxy. You have joined the Resistance on a secret mission! The First Order is desperate to intercede and stop the Resistance. When your transport is captured by a First Order Star Destroyer carrying Kylo Ren, you’re going to need all the help you can get to escape. Fortunately, a team of Resistance fighters is ready to help. This is truly a thrilling, first-of-its-kind adventure! You may only experience this attraction via the virtual queue- there are no FastPass or standby lines. You have two chances to obtain a boarding group– 7am and 1pm.
- Hungry? Grab a bite at Docking Bay 7 where hungry travelers can fuel up on galactic grub at this local Black Spire eatery. Serving hearty meals such as ribs and pot roast, this location is fit for any Resistance fighter on a mission.
- Ronto Roasters is where you will get the famous Ronto Wrap- grilled sausage and roasted pork. Yum!
- Oga’s Cantina is a must see! Step inside this notorious local watering hole to partake of unique libations for all ages. Reservations are required and may be made 60 days before check in. Try the Fuzzy Tauntaun: with “Buzz Button Tingling” Foam or the Blue Bantha, blue milk served chilled with a vanilla sugar cookie.
- You can also get your milk fix outside of the cantina at the Milk Stand- choose from the famous Blue or Green Milk
- Fans will not want to miss Savi’s Workshop where you can build your own lightsaber. This is a show/experience as well and the lightsabers are high quality. Each one will cost you $219.99 plus tax. It is limited to one builder and one guest. Reservations required and may be booked with dining at your 60 day mark. Payment due upon arrival. Includes the lightsaber and a carrying case. Currently there is no delivery option back to the resort or to the front of the park during COVID, so keep this in mind when scheduling.
- The Droid Depot is another great option. In this shop, you can build your very own droid. Choose from BB series or R-Series (ie BB8 or R2D2). The experience will cost $99.99 plus tax and includes the droid plus a cardboard carrying case. This experience is also limited to one builder and one guest. One person must be 14 years of age or older. Advance reservations are required.
- There are, of course, other shopping areas in the Black Spire Outpost. Check them out and explore. If you look closely enough you can see actual props and artifacts from the movies displayed.
- Don’t forget to install the Play Disney app on your smart device before your visit. Soon after you arrive to the planet Batuu, you’ll be able to transform the Play Disney Parks app into your Star Wars: Datapad. You’ll find many tools at your disposal for exploring the planet Batuu:
- Translate a variety of languages from across the galaxy
- Scan objects all around the spaceport to discover precious cargo.
- Tune and decrypt communications sent by the planet’s many residents.
- Use the Star Wars: Datapad to hack into—and interact with—select devices, control panels and droids.
- Practice piloting the Millenium Falcon while waiting on the queue with a training simulator game
Disney + and Beyond
There are already so many ways to get your Star Wars on on Disney +. The entire Star Wars movie series are available including the spin offs, the Clone Wars, two seasons of the incredibly popular Mandalorian series and (just now starting), The Bad Batch. Also (as announced in January) coming soon to Disney +:
Kenobi, Ahsoka, The Book of Boba Fett, Rangers of the New Republic, Andor, Star Wars: Visions, Lando, The Acolyte, and A Droid Story.
In addition to these new original series, the Walt Disney Company announced two new feature films in the works: Rogue Squadron and an untitled new project by director Taika Waititi who also gave us Thor Ragnorak.
RunDisney conducts a Star Wars themed race weekend every year in April or May. This year was no exception although it was done virtually, obviously. Runners can expect themed medals and Star Wars characters cheering you on. People come to run the race as their favorite Star Wars hero. You may participate in 5K, 10K, half marathon and challenges.
Disney Cruise Line: Star Wars Day at Sea
Star Wars Day at Sea is a special event offered on select 7-night Disney Cruise Line Caribbean sailings in January, February and early March.
On your day at sea, you can expect Star Wars character meet and greets with Darth Vader, Chewbacca, R2-D2 and C3P0, a special fireworks show and dessert party, Jedi Training sessions on board, Star Wars themed decor, special talks from Star Wars experts, movie screenings, trivia games, themed items on the menus and more. Dates and booking are now opened for these awesome sailings in 2022.
The Galactic Starcruiser is Disney’s much anticipated Star Wars themed resort, coming in 2022. No specific opening date has been announced yet and booking has not opened. However, Disney has released some images of some of the interior spaces such as the rooms. Here’s what we can expect:
- Guests will be booked on a 2-night, “all-immersive” adventure- similar to a cruise where once you board, you don’t leave until your voyage is over- all of your meals, activities, etc. are on board.
- You’ll be able to live out your Star Wars fantasies in the actual resort- operating the ship’s navigation and defense systems, practicing your lightsaber skills, sleeping in berths resembling an actual spaceship with views of the galaxy, eating and drinking in bars and restaurants inspired by Star Wars locales. You will also, of course embark on excursions to Batuu in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. This immersive resort experience is sure to change the rules when it comes to resort experiences in the future. You’ll board a launch pod that will transport you to the Starcruiser where you’ll disembark and stay for 2 nights, 3 days. Cabins will sleep up to 5 guests. Although it’s not connected to Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge (yet), it is extremely close to the park- you can even see the tops of the spires in the background of some construction photos. Lots of theatrics are to be expected, making the experience more immersive with sounds and sights of space to enhance your experience.
- New information regarding a brand new, high tech lightsaber design was released yesterday.
- Although prices have not been released, there is speculation that this will be more akin to cruise prices than resort prices due to the experiential nature of the resort. This will not be a budget friendly resort.
With so many options to fangirl about both Star Wars and Disney, what’s stopping you from embracing your inner Geek and experiencing some of these for yourself? How do you like to “nerd out” Star Wars style? We’d love to hear from you!
The MousekeMoms, Lori, Jennifer and Juliana, are experienced Disney moms who dole out valuable, honest, no holds barred information on their weekly podcast to help you plan your Disneyland, Walt Disney World or Disney Cruise Line vacation.
After all, Disney moms know best! And they are the best at planning your Disney vacations as the proud agents and owners of Kingdom and Cruise Travel- where vacation wishes come true.
Email us for a free, no obligation vacation quote. Our vacation planning services are always 100% FREE!