It definitely appears that the face mask is an accessory that is here to stay for the foreseeable future. I hear a lot from people who hesitate booking a trip to Disney simply because they don’t think they can wear a face mask in the theme parks all day. I am here to tell you that, not only was I able to wear a mask every day; but I was able to wear my mask comfortably every day in 90 degree heat. Here are our top Face Mask Hacks for the Theme Parks:
- Keep your glasses (or sunglasses) from fogging up. Wash your glasses with warm, soapy water and let them air dry daily or after you’ve been out in public. Besides getting rid of any lingering germs, this could help stop your glasses from fogging up when wearing a mask, as the soap leaves behind a thin film that prevents mist from gathering on the lenses. Also to help your glasses from fogging up, you should choose a mask with a wire nosepiece over the bridge of your nose to help it fit snugly on your face. Tilt the nose piece downward slightly as well. Another trick is to take a piece of Kleenex or toilet paper and fold it into a small square. When you put on your facemask, tuck the piece of tissue between the mask and the bridge of your nose. The tissue will absorb some of the moisture that naturally occurs between your skin and the mask, thus helping reduce eyeglass fog.
- Buy a lanyard to attach to your face mask and wear around your neck so that when you take your mask off to eat, you’re not putting it on the table or losing it. I found some inexpensive, customizable ones on Etsy . Or you can even make your own with yarn and clips. You can even get creative with some cute beads and customize each lanyard with your name or favorite Disney character.
- If you are worried that wearing your face mask for long periods of time will irritate your ears, there is a solution: Ear savers. You can buy ones on Etsy or create DIY versions by using a bobby pin or barrette to pull the ear loops off of your ears and fasten to your hair. You can also use rubber bands or shoelaces to extend the ear loops to the back of your head.
- Avoid mask acne by washing your face before and after you wear your mask with a gentle face cleanser. As much as you’re tempted, try to avoid wearing makeup under your mask. You should also wash your mask daily. Don’t use your normal laundry detergent which may be too harsh for your face. Instead, try a gentle, dye free, hypoallergenic detergent such as Arm and Hammer Sensitive Skin Free and Clear. You can wash your masks right in the bathroom sink with warm water and a small bit of detergent, and dry the masks on the clothesline in the shower overnight.
- Bring several different types of masks to the parks every day. You may find you like switching between single use and fabric masks. Some people prefer the pleated kind while others prefer the ones with the seam down the middle. Your best bet is to bring a variety with you. Many people feel more comfortable wearing an N95 mask on the airplane so this is something to consider packing as well. Don’t forget to pack a ziplock baggie to put your dirty masks into after you wear them so you can keep them separated and know which masks need to be washed nightly. And finally, want to be sure your mask fits properly before you travel? Try the mask test. Light a birthday candle and try to blow it out while wearing your mask. Does the candle stay lit? Your mask is a good fit! Are you able to blow the candle out? Your mask is not doing it’s job.
Do you have any face mask hacks for the theme parks? Let us know in the comments?
The MousekeMoms, Lori, Jennifer and Juliana, are experienced Disney moms who dole out valuable, honest, no holds barred information on their weekly podcast to help you plan your Disneyland, Walt Disney World or Disney Cruise Line vacation.
After all, Disney moms know best! And they are the best at planning your Disney vacations as the proud agents and owners of Kingdom and Cruise Travel- where vacation wishes come true.
Email us for a free, no obligation vacation quote. Our vacation planning services are always 100% FREE!